Monday, October 23, 2006

Jack, Leo, Matt and Marky = More Motrin For Me Please!

OK........so I went to see "The Departed" last weekend. Not this past weekend, but the one before that. I have to tell you all that it has taken me that long to recover from this movie, process it and be able to coherently write about it. Please don't get me wrong.....or mistake the title of this post. I loved this movie.....I really did. It just shook me up a little bit -- actually a lot. I have been looking forward to seeing "The Departed" since I first read about it during filming, and then saw the trailer online a few months ago. With the cast, the director and the subject matter.....I knew I would like it. But wow...........it's a little stressful......a lot stressful.....sitting there in the theatre, watching all of those great actors act their hearts out.........and you're waiting to see who's gonna get whacked next!
This isn't gonna be a long, drawn out review.......all about the merits of great filmmaking, but I just wanna talk about this movie a little bit. This movie is not for everyone. In fact, it's not for a lot of you that I know read this blog. I've already told one of my best friends...."Do not see this movie, it is definitely NOT for you!" She and her husband had been invited to go with us and another couple to see it....but they had other plans that night and couldn't go. All I kept thinking as I watched this movie was....."I'm so glad Liz didn't come see this movie!"
Like I said......I loved this movie.....BUT. I like a lot of movies........there is usually something I like......because I love movies. But here's the deal: this movie is violent......very, very violent. These are gangsters....mobsters......bad guys. They do very bad things, like shoot people in the head.....a lot. It does help when you are watching bad people do bad things.....if the people doing the bad things are Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Marky Mark(love that name!), Martin Sheen and the hilarious Alec Baldwin. Honestly....there's not a bad performance in the bunch. Seeing all of those guys up there on the big screen together.....that was worth the price of admission for me.
BUT.........
They use "the F-word" ...... a lot. Like.......in every sentence. Like......they use it so much, that you kinda get used to it.....and you don't even notice it anymore. But believe me people, if you are bothered by "the F-word" (I'm not, we use if around my house all the time.....right!) but if you are bothered by it......this ain't your kinda movie.
OK...........so "The Departed" is violent. I'm sure you knew that already. And....they use "the F-word" a lot..........you probably figured that gangsters weren't running around saying "Gee Whiz." What I've been leading up to is this. I was prepared for the great cast and the great acting. I was prepared for the realistic and graphic violence. I was even prepared for the very colorful language that would make even Eminem blush. What I wasn't prepared for was the stress headache I had when it was all said and done. That is why I shoulda taken the Motrin with me.
I can only describe it to you this way......I was basically hunched down in my seat for the entire 2 hours. My shoulders hurt from hunching so much. Part of the time, my hands hovered near my eyes....in case I needed to cover them at a moments notice. I know that I screamed out loud at least twice.....once near the end....so loud, I thought the guy in front of me was gonna have a heart attack. I can't help it.....I knew something was coming.....something was gonna happen (especially when Jack would get that look in his eyes....you know that look) and I just wanted to be prepared. Like I've said....and I'll keep saying......I loved this movie. But OY .......the headache!
It's the same stress and headache I felt when I watched "Jaws" in the theatre for the first time.....way back in 1975 when I was 11 years old. Remember that ( I know you do.....) , watching and waiting for that shark to show up.....you knew he was down there.....just taking his time, ready to strike. How about when Richard Dreyfus went scuba-diving at night, checking out that shipwreck.....the music starts....."Da dah, Da dah, Da dah...." and then that guy's head popped out. I screamed like a little girl. Oh wait.....I was a little girl. Anyways, that's beyond the point. I had a headache then......and I have a headache now.
I'm about done, but I do want to say a few final words. "The Departed" is a great movie.....just not for everyone. If you are squeamish and easily offended by bad language.....skip it and go see Robin Williams in "Man of the Year" (I think it needs the business). But if you wanna go see a good movie with great acting and some really great twists...........check it out. I'm not the first one to say this, but I definitely agree...........there will be lots of Oscar nominations in a few months for this baby. I'm guessin' Jack for Supporting Actor and at least Matt for Best Actor (he has a little bit more of a showier role than Leo....plus, he gets to play against type). Martin Scorcese will most likely be nominated for Best Director. Hollywood likes him, and they feel badly that he hasn't won one yet. Who knows, Marky Mark (again, I love that name!) and Alec Baldwin might even snag nominations as well. They are both awesome in their supporting roles, and both bring much-needed humor to the film.
OK..............I'm done with "The Departed" for now. But seriously.........if you do decide to check it out............please do me a favor, take some Motrin with you.

No comments: