Thursday, October 26, 2006

How About A "Minnie Movie Marathon" This Weekend?


Well, well.....lookee here. I just saw these recent pix of the British actress Minnie Driver online. Although she looks a little bit loopy on the red carpet....and is definitely workin' some kind of "Flashdance" -- 80's kinda vibe (What's with the fedora hat and fringe, by the way?) ......it got me remembering that Minnie is in 3 movies that I really like.

Even though when I first saw these photos I thought....."Oh no, another wacky actress in desperate need of a job and/or fashion stylist".....I'm willing to cut Minnie some slack, because I've always kinda liked her. I started wondering what she had been up to lately. I did a little research, and found out that she has "recently lost 15 pounds" in order to play a role that I'm sure most actresses would kill for.....a drug-addicted, Irish gypsy con-artist (wow - that's a mouthful! ). Apparently Minnie will be in an upcoming TV series for the F/X network. Doesn't sound like a real ratings-grabber there, Minnie......but heck.....you never know. Just look at "Skating With The Stars." Hmmmm....better yet.....don't look at that.

Anyways, like I said, I've always kinda liked Minnie........even if she does dress a little "different" sometimes. It is Hollywood, after all. One of the main reasons that I still like her is because of "The Oprah Dump." I have a soft spot for Minnie ever since Mr. Nice Guy, Matt Damon, dumped her on national TV...... on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" no less.

Haven't heard this one?
The story goes that Matt and Minnie got together during the filming of "Good Will Hunting." They were both relative newcomers to the Hollywood scene. After filming is done, they are an item....going along, happily dating....everything's hunky dory.


Then the movie hits big-time.....Matt and Ben are suddenly Golden Boys......and I think 'ol Matt was feelin' like poor Minnie was weighin' him down during his big moment in the sun with his good buddy Ben. Minnie doesn't know this of course (Wait....a man NOT being very communicative while dating? -- Nah ! ).....so she thinks everything is great.


( Hmmmm......Buddy Ben looks a little jealous to me, don'tcha think? )


Then Matt and Ben.....or Ben and Matt, whichever you prefer.....go on Oprah.

I think Robin Williams was with them also.........so you know that was a circus. Anyhow....Matt's talkin' and Minnie's watchin'. Oprah starts to probe into the boys' personal lives.


Oprah asks Matt about Minnie....rumors that they are dating, etc. What does Golden Boy say? "No, Minnie and I aren't dating anymore......we broke up." That's all fine and dandy Matt.....except you're supposed to tell Minnie first. Before Oprah.....and her studio audience of screaming women......and her national television audience of millions of women. OUCH ! Let's just say, Minnie didn't just get dumped.......she got dumped on daytime TV. Just like those classy dames over on "The Jerry Springer Show."


What made matters worse, is that the movie soon received all sorts of Oscar nominations, and the whole crowd was invited to the awards. By this time, all of Hollywood was gossiping about "The Oprah Dump", and snickering about poor Minnie. She managed to suck it up, dress up pretty and go to the awards.....but then guess what.....she had to sit in the audience -- behind Matt and Ben......and their mothers. Their mothers. That's who the boys took to the awards......and they all had better seats than Miss Minnie.


And then, wouldn't ya just know it.....the boys went and won the Oscar. Bummer.

( Hmmmm.....what exactly is it that you're doing with your Oscar, Ben? )


Well, that's why I have a soft spot for Minnie Driver. She's not a bad little actress either....Miss Minnie. So I thought I'd tell you about the 3 Minnie Movies that I really like....ones that I will always sit and watch again, if I'm channel-surfing and happen to catch them on.

#1- "Circle of Friends" - Minnie gained weight(long before Renee Zellweger did it for "Bridget Jones' Diary") to play a pudgy and shy college girl in 1950's Ireland. She crushes on the handsome popular guy...cute Chris O'Donnell. It's a very small film from 1995, but very sweet and romantic.....with a good plot about friendship....and love. I definitely recommend it.

#2- "Grosse Pointe Blank" - A very black comedy starring one of my all-time favorite actors (who doesn't work enough), John Cusack. From 1997....He's Martin Blank...a hitman who goes back to his hometown (and high school reunion) to "do a hit." Minnie is the very smart and funny ex-girlfriend who he stood up on Prom Night. They spar back and forth, get romantic, get chased and shot at, etc. It is funny....not everyone's cup of tea....but worth checking out. It has a great supporting cast as well.


#3- "Return To Me" - I admit it......I'm a sucker for Romantic Comedies.....I just am. This one is from 2000. It's sweet and has a definite feminine point of view.....it's written and directed by the very funny actress, Bonnie Hunt. I admit that David Duchovny is not one of my favorite actors(I think he is a little bland)....but he is good in this part. He plays a guy whose wife dies in an accident, and then he unknowingly falls for the woman who received her heart in a donor transplant operation. Sounds contrived....I know. But for me, it somehow works. I'm just a hopeless romantic. What I probably like the most about this movie is Bonnie Hunt. In addition to her writing and directing duties, she plays Minnie's funny best friend. Bonnie is married to Jim Belushi and has a bunch of rowdy kids. Jim's role is funny as well -- he and Bonnie have some great scenes, with classic back and forth about marriage, kids, etc. Belushi's role here is small, and alot like his role on the current TV show "According to Jim". I don't know, it just makes me laugh. Carroll O'Connor(that's Archie Bunker to you.....)is also very sweet as Minnie's grandfather who raised her, and is overprotective of her because of the heart transplant.

OK.......so those are the 3 movies that came to mind when I saw Miss Minnie .....rockin' her wacky 80's outfits on some recent red carpets. Now.....I don't necessarily recommend that you follow her fashion choices, but if you're gonna be stuck inside on a cold winter day, why not check out one of those flicks. I don't think you'll be too disappointed. Hey.....why not get Matt in "The Bourne Identity" while you're at it, and make it a double-feature. It'll be Matt and Minnie....together again. Like I said, that's me....... the hopeless romantic.


( Check out the look on Matt's face.....even then, the writing was on the wall. Poor Minnie....she didn't stand a chance! )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too was so bummed about the GA reruns that I turned off the tube. That is huge for me!

I've seen all the Minnie movies and they are all good. I gotta say that she bothers me. I'm not sure why but, something just doesn't sit right with me. I think she is a bit wierd. But she is a celeb so she comes by that naturally.

Now the John Cusack accolades are soooo true!!! I have three favorite Johns, not pimps, but Johns. They are John Cusack, Johnny Depp (I know he is an expatriate but I still dig him) and John Travolta. I overlook that JT is into that Scientology stuff and married to the "Scientology Rocks!) Kelly Preston - that's what she said in a Baba Walters interview a few years back.

I love my John's.

Media Child

Anonymous said...

I think that Miss Minnie is better off without 'ol Matt......she'll find her Prince Charming eventually. Hang in there girl!