Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Ga-Ga About "Grey's"

Well it's finally Thursday....and around here that means "Grey's Anatomy" Night. Why do I (and a lot of other people I know) love "Grey's Anatomy" so much? I know dear readers that not all of you are completely enthralled with the doctors at Seattle Grace. I'm sure that some of you would love to step up and say, "Hey guys....Get a life!" Well....guess what. For lots and lots of us(and that's a lot....)we do have a life, but that life comes to a screeching halt from 9:00 to 10:00 pm on Thursday evenings. We turn on ABC and tune out everything else. We are definitely..... ga-ga about "Grey's." And the ratings, well they definitely say that there are a lot of us out there. In fact, I belong to a "Card Club" of women that I went to high school with over 20 years ago. There are about a dozen of us who meet once a month. We used to meet at each others homes and play Euchre.... and eat and talk. Then we decided to skip the cards, and just eat and talk. Then we started going out to dinner, to just eat and talk. Well this month, actually tonight.....we are starting something new. We are meeting again at someone's home (thanks Marla!) to eat and talk......and at 9:00 pm....to watch "Grey's Anatomy" -- together. Most, but not all of us are crazy about the show. It just seemed like a perfect fit. I'm so looking forward to it.....not just getting together....and not just watching the show. But sharing it....with my girlfriends. So....what is it about this show, more than any other show right now? Is it the men? I mean, you have to admit.....they are very easy on the eyes.....and so many handsome doctors to choose from. But no......I don't think it's just the handsome men. They are also funny, sensitive and sweet. But definitely not perfect. They are realistic. How great a friend is George for Izzie right now? So warm and caring.....and not too pushy. Just there when she needs a shoulder. No male/female strings attached. Who wouldn't love a male friend like that? Well then, is it the women? I do love the women on the show -- I think that each character is special, yet realistically flawed in her own way. They do -- and say -- crazy, comical, frustrating and fantastic things. I mean.....I still am having a hard time getting Dr. Bailey's VA-JAY-JAY out of my head! And boy, oh, boy....does Christina make me mad sometimes! OK......so I think it's fair to say we all like.....no, I'd say we love, both the men and the women of Grey's Anatomy. But ultimately.....I think it comes down to the writing. It's the stories of this group of people and this particular time in their lives that we love so much. That's what got us invested and fascinated in the lives of Meredith, George, Izzie, Christina, Alex, Dr. Bailey, Dr. Burke, Dr. Addison and Dr. McDreamy(Ooops....let's not forget Dr. McSteamy.....he's definitely one of my new favorites!). Let's face it.....if it was just a bunch of good-looking people walking around a hospital without a good story, we'd all turn it off after about 10 minutes. Boring! But these people are fun and infuriating. Sometimes they are very recognizable.....other times, I can't quite figure them out (will someone please explain to me why Addison keeps saying "go away" to McSteamy.....I mean seriously...........that girl needs her head examined. Maybe by Derek!)Anyways, I may not be a doctor(or a surgical intern)but I've definitely had a few "aha" moments with this show. I've seen and heard myself....and other people that I know(you'll have to figure out who you are on your own). It's an hour of great storytelling each week. It's the writing, writing, writing. OK...........so what's my point? Well, I don't really have a point.....I just like talking about "Grey's Anatomy." No, I'm kidding. All of this talk about the writing is really praise for Shonda Rhimes -- the creator and head writer of this show. The heart and soul of Grey's Anatomy. Shonda has the lives and loves of these people very well thought out. She has said more than once that she definitely has an opinion on who Meredith should, and probably will, end up with. Shonda truly loves these characters....flaws and all.....which is exactly why we love them too. Remember....these "people" were in her head, long before they ever hit your TV screen. If you read her blog, you'll see that Shonda Rhimes is just like the characters she writes....funny, flawed, fearless and fascinating. And very real. She talks about how when Patrick Dempsey first came in to read for the part of Dr. Shepherd, aka Dr. McDreamy, she found him so handsome and likable, all she could do was stare at him and think of all of the storylines she could write for him. He on the other hand, was auditioning for her and a room full of producers and writers.....and she's just staring at him, with a blank look on her face. Patrick said he told his wife and agent afterward...."No way I'm getting that part....Shonda just stared at me." Guess what Patrick.....now we all are. Well, that's about all for now. I'm gonna end this valentine to "Grey's Anatomy" with some info for you. If you are like me, and you love this show.....it's characters and it's writing.......I strongly recommend you check out the website greyswriters.com or Grey Matter. It is an ongoing blog about the show from Shonda and the writers. Each week, the writer of that particular episode writes an entry about their show, how they came up with the idea(sometimes they use very personal stories), the casting, dirt on some of the guest stars and just basically what was going on in their head. It's good inside scoop. It definitely makes you see the show from an entirely different perspective. Check it out. Also, I'd love to hear some of your comments about "Grey's"....you can click on the comment link at the end of this post and write anything....then we all can read what you think. Please...I love feedback! Oh yeah.....I almost forgot. I was wondering who we should talk to about getting Meredith to eat a sandwich. I mean seriously......I've seen skinny, but this is getting ridiculous! Later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cagey,
You forgot sexy Dr. Weber, the big cheese. He is an adulterous man plus he is the one that gave Derek the insight to tell Meredith that "he's out".

If I could get a hold of Dr. Weber right now I might pull a Burke/Derek on him. Anyone who has been reading celeb stuff lately knows they had a little scuffle.

Burd