Monday, February 12, 2007

My Movie-Watching Weekend -- Some Pre-Oscar Observations.......


(By the way, that's not me or my kids -- just some random movie-lovers for ya..............
although that's exactly what they'd be doin' if I made 'em go see The Last King of Scotland with me!)




Hey there everyone.............

Hope you all had a good weekend.

I was a busy girl.


Two weeks to go until the Academy Awards, so I continued my personal quest to see all of the nominated pictures, actors and actresses (in the 6 main catagories).

There are a total of 16 films spread over the nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor/Actress and Best Supporting Actor/Actress.

Luckily, by the time the nominations were announced.....I had already seen many of the flicks.


This weekend, I got 3 more of them in:

Friday-
The Last King of Scotland- Forest Whitaker
(nominated for Best Actor)
Saturday - Volver - Penelope Cruz
(nominated for Best Actress)
Sunday - Venus - Peter O'Toole

(nominated for Best Actor)

In this post, I thought I would include some cool new portraits of some of the nominees. The pix are taken from Sunday's New York Times Magazine. It had a photo gallery of some of the "Great Performers in Film" from this past year. I just thought they were kinda neat.

Now, back to the movies that I saw this weekend............

I must say, both Forest and Peter are great. Penelope is good too, I just don't think it is a Best Actress performance (I think she must have a lot of friends in the Academy that nominated her).

Forest is the front-runner, and has won most of the other awards leading up to the Oscars. However, if anyone could steal it at the last minute......I think it would be Peter O'Toole.


Peter has never won an Oscar, but he was nominated 7 times between 1963 and 1983. This year's nomination brings the total to 8.

The Academy did give O'Toole an honorary Oscar in 2003, but at the time it was offered, he initially turned it down. He said he was "still in the game, and might win the lovely bugger outright."

He might just do that.....but he's gonna have to get past the Forest first.

A little sidenote -- Peter O'Toole is in one of my favorite movies......My Favorite Year.

My friend JJ (aka: "The Girl In The Red Bubble Dress") turned me on to this little gem --


It's a great comedy from 1982, about the early days of live television, a young Jewish comedy writer and the chaos that ensues when the writer has to "chaperone" the guest on his TV show.....a swashbuckling, hard-drinking British movie star played by O'Toole. He received one of his nominations for this role.

The best scene is when the writer brings the movie star home to have dinner with his wacky Jewish relatives. It's classic. I highly recommend it.

If you ask me, Peter O'Toole could pull an upset this year
(but alas, it's highly unlikely).

Venus is a very sweet movie. O'Toole plays an aged British theatre actor, somewhat sickly and frail.....but still full of spunk. He meets and develops a friendship/crush on the young
(twenty-something) grand-niece of a pal of his.

He is funny, sad, touching, cheeky and his eyes still sparkle. It's a small movie, but a great role. I really loved it, and him.

On the other hand, Forest's performance as Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland is far from funny, touching or cheeky. He is truly scary, fierce, intense and very sweaty. He is awesome though....and that's why he's been takin' home so many awards lately.


The movie is very violent, and there are a few scenes that made me close my eyes (tight!) and plug my ears.

Just givin' a warning for you squeamish ones out there..............

Anyways, I think Forest will probably win (and he does deserve it), but I have a soft spot for Peter. We'll have to wait and see how the Academy feels. I think they really like both guys..... Forest has also been kickin' around a long time......so I think it will be a close race.

Volver was OK..........it's in Spanish with subtitles. The story is a little wacky, but that is to be expected with a Pedro Almodovar flick. Penelope is beautiful -- I don't think that there is a single scene where she doesn't look gorgeous.


And just so you know, she's looks great while dealing with a lot.

Let's see.....she's got dead parents, a bad husband, a dead husband, a sick aunt, a dead aunt, a troubled daughter, 2 jobs, a sick friend, then Mom reappears....it goes on and on.

And Penelope never stops looking good.

I just don't know how she does it.

(I do know she was smart enough to escape from the crazy
Cruise-Fest.....good thinkin' there chickie. Not even keepin' your same last name (Cruz=Cruise) was worth that trip to
L. Ron Hubbard Land! )

Well, that's all of my pre-Oscar observations for now..........I have to go back to the movies.

I only have 5 more flicks to see before my quest is finished.

It's a tough job.....but somebody's gotta do it!

Oh yeah........here are some more of the actor portraits from yesterday's New York Times Magazine...............

Enjoy the purty pictures --



Handsome Leo............


Great Cate....................




And Lovely Helen.............................







Have a great day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cagey,

Where are your kids? Locked in the basement while you eat popcorn and view the flicks?

Keep going to the shows. If you need someone to slide some food under the basement door I'm available.

Media Child