Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Beware Of "The Bubble"


The lovely Sandra Bullock -- at an awards event in Hollywood this past weekend......in a red "Bubble Dress" that looks shockingly familiar to me somehow.


Today I decided that I just have to talk about "The Bubble Dress." The masters of all that is stylish and hip (I think that means a bunch of gay guys in a loft in NYC, led by their fearless leader, the wacky Isaac Mizrahi ) proclaimed a while back that "Bubble Dresses" were one of the styles that were going to be huge (no pun intended) for Fall '06. Well......I don't really think that "Bubble Dresses" are all that flattering. It's definitely an acquired taste. And....except for a few pictures from the catwalk at Fashion Week......and some photos of various misguided celebs at Hollywood functions......I haven't seen too many "Bubble Dresses" out and about, especially not here in good 'ol Columbus Ahia.

But.............as I mentioned in this very blog a few days ago.........I did see a "Bubble Dress" in good 'ol Columbus Ahia...........on my good friend Jennifer Diederich, at my Watterson High School Christmas Cotillion Dance in 1981. 1981 People. That's 25 years ago for all you math whizzes out there like me. I guess what they say about "Everything Old Is New Again" is actually true.....




Or at least it is with Cher and Joan Rivers anyways.

("If I Could Turn Back Time.......")

Anyhow......back to 1981. My date for that Christmas Cotillion dance was a young man named Rob Camp. A super nice guy....but there was not a real "Love Connection" between he and I, if you know what I mean. Anyways, I just want all my readers to know that I have finally forgiven said friend Jennifer (aka JJ) for remarking at the time.....many times I might add.....that in regards to the Christmas Cotillion ........I was going..........."Camp -ing." Ahhh.....subtle high school humor. Gotta love it!

Well, I'm still waiting for Jennifer to send me a photo of her in that Red "Bubble Dress." I asked her publicly, in my blog a few days ago. I definitely want to post it on this blog. I want to post it very badly. Hmmm......maybe I haven't forgiven her so much. JJ has not responded to my requests, so we'll have to wait and see. I know that she must have a photo from this dance, because I have seen her scrapbooks.

People, she makes gorgeous scrapbooks that contain pictures and momentos that you wouldn't believe. She's got photos, news clippings, ticket stubs and candy wrappers from every stage of life. I'm not kidding. I told her she needs to go into business doing this for others.....people like me. I mean, I can't even find the Remote Control for my TV.......much less a ticket stub from the 3 pm showing of "Xanadu" at the Graceland Cinema in 1980. Yikes!

OK............I digress. What I started out to do was show you a few recent photos of celebrities wearing "Bubble Dresses" ..........and let you all decide for yourselves. What do you think? Should they stay or should they go? Do the big-wig Fashionistas in charge know what they're doing? Would you ever actually wear one of these? Will I ever stop with the questions and just get to the photos? Oh...........OK.

Enjoy the following pix, and let me know what you think about these "Bubble Dresses." Oh yeah, and JJ..........I'm not giving up. The world is waiting (or at least my dear readers......). I want that photo! Cough it up girlie.




LEFT to RIGHT : Lindsay Lohan (La Lohan to you....), Emily Procter ( Blonde girl #1 from CSI Miami) and Sara Michelle Gellar ( Scooby's Friend and Buffy the Vampire Slayer). Hmmmm.....reviews in that order.......OK, Kind of OK and OK I guess.....just a little weird with that black band so tight around your knees that you can barely get away from those nasty vampires. And what's with the all the huge black bows ladies? I guess it was Bubble 'N Bow Night on the Sunset Strip. Call me next time.



Debra ( I ain't messin' with you ) Messing. Loved her in "Will and Grace." Loved her in......what's the name of that movie she starred in? Wait, it's on the tip of my tongue. Hmmm.....you know what, I'm a movie-lover.....and none of her movie roles really come to mind. Miss Messing, the dress ain't too bad.....just a little matronly, combined with that updo ya got goin' on there. How's about you keep the dress......but get a new agent. We like you. You are cute and funny missy...........you need to be in pictures. Work on it.



Chloe Sevigny. Here's what I have to say about 'ol Chloe. Why? Why is she famous (well....why does she get invited to big events, and get her picture taken and published?). Quick......name a movie you've seen her in. Anyone? No, not a movie she's been in.....but a movie you've actually paid money to see her in. And then try to correctly pronounce her last name for me. You can't do it, can you. Oh.....I see. You don't care. Well, guess what.....I don't really care either.....I'm just curious. Chloe's in a black "Bubble Dress." It's actually not too bad, it almost looks like it could be a vintage cocktail dress from the 50's. But here's the rub......she's got that slight sneer on her face that she has in almost every red carpet photo that I have ever seen of her. Chloe .......stop going to so many events (and stop with the sneer), and just make a movie that some of us might want to actually see in a theatre, rent at Blockbuster or even take out for free from the Public Library. I think you can do it. You obviously have some connections. I've seen your picture a lot, and I know your name. Start there.


Ahhhh.........the ever interesting Demi Moore. She's another one with a name that people constantly mis-pronounce. Once I heard her say to an interviewer........"It's Duh-Me .......not, Dem-EE." Whatever babe.....howz about this......can you say "Cradle Robber?"

I must admit, Demi looks great in this "Bubble Dress." But then again, she usually looks great "for her age." Don't you hate that....."for her age" crap? She's 44 for gosh sakes! ( or so she says.....) Married to 28-year-old former male model and Fox Network sitcom star, Ashton Kutcher. Gimme a break. Oh yeah, we know that he's great friends with her ex, Bruce Willis .....and a wonderful step-dad to her 3 young daughters. And...... Ashton converted to the ancient practice of Kabahlah for her (whatever that is.....I know that they wear red strings on their wrists.....and it's kinda like being Jewish, but not. Ya know, like Sammy Davis Jr. )

Oh well.....here's the thing about Me and Duh-me. I don't know which little trivia tid-bit bothers me more -- the fact that her current husband was only 8 years old when she was starring as a coked-out party girl in "St. Elmo's Fire." (Such a great 80's flick, with a great 80's cast, including Demi's then-fiancee , Emilio Estevez ) .................OR .......................could it bother me slightly that Ashton was probably a normal....hormonal young lad....a mere 13, when Demi posed pregnant and naked for that infamous cover of Vanity Fair magazine. Do you think when they met for the first time in Hollywood.....Ashton said :

"Hey Duh-Me...........I've been dyin' to meet cha. Listen to this....it's a riot. My friends back home have always teased me, because I was the only boy in our middle school who kept a copy of Vanity Fair under his pillow!"

YUCK !

Oh well..........sorry to leave you with that thought, but I really have nothing more to say.

So how about this.........Have a great Thursday........and ..........
Beware of "The Bubble."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember a young Demi Moore as Jackie Templeton on General Hospital in the early 80's....who could forget her wackiness and husky voice. Remember, she was after Luke Spencer!