Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mark Your Ballots....


Yay.....I'm so glad that the Oscar ceremony is actually happening. I was really worried there for awhile, when that writers' strike kept draggin' on and on and on......

OK, OK......I know Georgie's NOT gonna win tonight, but ya gotta admit -- he does look mighty fine in a tux, holdin' that Best Supporting Actor Oscar of his from Syriana.

Hmmm......I better get back on track and focus on the real potential Oscar winners for tonight --

If you've been reading my blog since last years' Oscars, you may remember that I was chosen to be a member of my local newspaper's Oscar-picking group....

CAMPP -- The Columbus Association of Motion Picture Pickers

Cute, huh?

This year they added 10 more movie-lovers to the group -- I think there are 40 of us now. 40 movie geeks of all ages that make it a point to watch as many of the nominated films as humanly possible (Gee, do I HATE that!)

We have "official" T-shirts to wear, and we meet yearly about a month before the Oscars to get our picture taken for the paper (The Columbus Dispatch) and gab about the movies. It's really a lot of fun, and I was more than thrilled to be chosen.

Our main purpose is to choose who we think
SHOULD win in the 6 major catagories (4 acting, directing and best picture). We're then asked to write one or two short lines about why we chose who we did.

Last year, the paper printed one pick/quote from everyone. This year, because of our larger number of members, they said not everyone would get a pick printed in the paper.

Their recommendation?

Be brief, witty and brief. Oh yeah.....and did I mention that they said to be brief?

Seriously -- if you are a regular reader of this blog at all, you know that's one thing I'm NOT when I'm talking about movies.......brief.

Well, I just looked at this morning's paper.

Guess what? They DID choose one of my picks/quotes.

Yay!

Which one?

The most brief, of course:

Best Picture -- "(Juno)the only flick on the list that I've recommended to everyone."

Gee, so insightful and witty.

Hmmm.....upon closer inspection, I noticed that they happened to do a little creative editing with my pick -- my actual quote was:

"Juno -- a small film with a big heart, quirky characters you wish you knew... and you leave the theater with a song and a smile. The only flick on the list I’ve recommended to everyone."

Well, I guess that's what you call.....being "brief"-ed.

Hey.....I'm in the Sunday paper -- one more minute added to my 15 minutes of fame countdown (I think that brings me to 6).

OK, enough about that.

Now I'm gonna give ya my predictions about who I think WILL win tonight. Here they are (whether you want 'em or not.....) --

My Oscar picks:

Best Actor -- Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)


(Not much to say here....if he doesn't win, I'll be totally shocked -- along with the rest of Hollywood. I do think he deserves it.....I really hated this movie, but recognize that Daniel did an awesome job in it. Even Georgie says that Daniel's gonna take Oscar home. Georgie, on the other hand -- will probably take the coat-check girl/aspiring actress home.)

Best Actress -- Marion Cotillard (La Vie en Rose)


(This is a tough one, and kind of up in the air right now. Julie Christie had the early momentum, but I think Marion (the Frenchie) is gonna take this one in a surprise upset.....although I'd love to see Ellen Page win for Juno, just to see what she would say up there. Marion, Julie. Julie, Marion. Oh heck, I'm just gonna stick with Marion.)


Best Supporting Actor -- Javier Bardem (No Country For Old Men)


(Another one that Hollywood is counting on. He really is great in the flick, and how about that awesome page-boy haircut! Hal Holbrook has some sentimental votes, but I just don't think he has enough screen-time to steal this one away from the psychopathic killer who dominates a whole movie.)

Best Supporting Actress -- Amy Ryan (Gone, Baby Gone)


(Ryan is a stage actress and played a shady, skanky mother of a kidnapped child. She did a great job, you feel as if you are watching a real person....someone you never hope to meet. Tilda Swinton from Michael Clayton may steal this one out from under Ryan -- she has had the buzz lately, but I think Ryan's performance is just a little bit better, so I'm betting on her.)

Best Director -- Ethan Coen and Joel Coen (No Country For Old Men)


(This one is also pretty locked-up. These 2 very creative brothers make truly weird and wacky films -- Hello, Fargo.....a killer putting people in a wood-chipper? Yuck. Well, they definitely know what they are doing and Hollywood (and most actors) love them. That's a lot of votes. Also, No Country For Old Men was a very engrossing and suspenseful film. I liked it, some others did not (Yo, Jules -- I've got that $7 for ya). By the way, I also think the brothers will win for Best Adapted Screenplay and Film Editing. It'll be their night, for sure. )

Best Original Screenplay -- Diablo Cody (Juno)


(I really think this one is also a no-brainer. Whenever anyone talks about Juno -- and there has been an awful lot of talk about it these last few months....they always mention how fresh and witty it is. Fresh....that's Diablo, the ex-stripper/phone sex operator. She has become a kind of "It Girl Writer" in Hollywood right now....she is a little wacky, and not afraid of self-promotion. I think that's good. I also love the fact that in this writing catagory, 3 of the 5 nominees are women .....a first for the Oscars. Yay, I definitely think that's a step in the right direction -- especially if you look at most of the dreck in the theaters today! Let's have a few more films with a genuine feminine perspective out there, OK guys? I mean, gals. I mean....you know what I mean.)

Best Picture -- No Country For Old Men


(I think this one is sewn up too folks......doesn't seem to be anything out there stoppin' the Old Men train. Why? Just re-read what I wrote above about the Coen brothers and Javier Bardem. Hollywood loves this movie -- the cast, the writing, the directing.....the whole kit and caboodle. Middle America may not get it, or have even seen it.....but Oscar voters did. If this one doesn't take home the golden statue at the end of the night, I'll eat my page-boy wig.....standing next to a wood-chipper.)

Well, there ya have it. My Oscar predictions....for whatever they're worth (not much I'm guessin').

Make sure to check back here on Monday for a complete Oscar wrap-up.....and some good dish about the real main event of the evening -- the Red Carpet attire (or as I like to call it: "The Good, The Bad and....Oh Gag, Check Out Cameron Diaz!").

Hope y'all enjoy the show!

Later,

Cagey :)


No comments: