Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oscar Nom Update - 25 out of 30 ain't bad........

Well, the Oscar nominations were just announced. My guesses were pretty good, except for a few surprises...........

No Jack Nicholson for "The Departed." Mark Wahlberg got the nod for "The Departed" instead. Good for him..........I thought he was great in the flick. Jack was Jack, and maybe a little over the top. (But I love him anyways!)

Jackie Earle Haley got a Supporting Actor nod for "Little Children." It's not a total surprise, he had been mentioned for this.

I saw this film a few weeks ago with my sis (and I read the book). It is very good, but a little icky and creepy at times. Definitely NOT a feel-good flick. Most of you will remember Jackie from "The Bad News Bears" (the bad kid on the motorbike) and "Breaking Away."

Believe me when I say......he is definitely different in this film. You won't forget him.

I'm thrilled that Abigail Breslin was nominated for "Little Miss Sunshine."

She is adorable, and the movie wouldn't have worked without her. I loved that flick. Abigail is 10 years old, and now ties Tatum O'Neal for the youngest nominee ever. You go girl! (I'm waitin' for the Abigail Breslin/Dakota Fanning fashion smackdown on the Red Carpet. You just wait!)

Other surprises............

Poor
"Dreamgirls."

They barely got any Oscar love.

Only Supporting nods for Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson.

No Best Picture, no Best Director............

I also saw "Dreamgirls" with my sister, at an advance screening way back in November --and we both really liked it. I happen to love musicals (and I did see the Broadway show, way back when) and I thought it was very well done.

Definitely, Jennifer Hudson is very deserving of the nomination........Eddie is pretty good as well.

Oh well. The next big Broadway musical headed for the big screen is "Hairspray." I'm really lookin' forward to this one.


It's due this summer.........with none other than one of my all-time faves -
John Travolta - in DRAG. He's playing the larger-than-life singing mom, Edna Turnblad. It also has the cutie-patootie Zac Efron from "High School Musical."


That'll bring the tween crowd in for sure.

My daughter Kate and I saw this show on Broadway in September. It really is a lot of fun.....with great music, sets and dancing. I'm hopin' the movie captures the fun. We'll see.

So.........I guessed 25 right out of 30 possible nominations. Not bad, but I'm hoping to do better on my guesses for the actual winners. I've got a month to check the odds.

I guessed well in the acting catagories......but no "Dreamgirls" for Best Picture or Director tripped me up. Also, the supporting nods for Haley, Wahlberg....and Rinko Kikuchi for "Babel."

Did you see her at the Golden Globes?



(Pretty girl....but what's with the shower sponge-puff dress?
Red Carpet Wear by Walgreens)



I can't wait to check out what she wears to the Oscars. It'll be hard to top a dress that looks like a swan...........




but something tells me............Rinko is up for the challenge.

We'll see..........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must be part witch or psychic when it comes to celebrities and La la land.

I loved THE DEPARTED and am a bit disappointed that Leo or some of the other supporting roles didn't get noms. Marky Mark gets my vote even though I'm not on the Academy. No one wears Calvin Klein undies like him!

Media Child