Friday, November 09, 2007

Do You Like.....Quirky?


If you answered "Yes".....then you're gonna love "Juno".

What is "Juno"?

Well, if all of the movie scoop I've been reading lately is correct.......it's this year's "Little Miss Sunshine".


From what I've seen and read....."Juno" looks great.

A quirky indie film by a first-time screenwriter, centered around a smart and spunky young girl -- and the somewhat dysfunctional family and friends that orbit around her.

(See the "Sunshine" comparison?)

The flick has been playin' the festival circuit lately and won all sorts of raves. The critics love it. Audiences love it. Hollywood loves it.

Are you gonna love it?

Hmmmm.

I'm thinkin'....most of you -- probably. Some of you -- maybe. A few of you -- no.

Did I mention that the smart and spunky girl named "Juno" is trying to navigate high school, figure out her life..... and she just happens to be 16 and pregnant?

Oh.


(In other words, she ain't no cute bespectacled little cherub, driving in a van across the country with her crazy family, trying to win a beauty pageant by dancing around a stage to "SuperFreak".)


OK.

Did I mention the cast?

Jennifer Garner ("Alias"), Jason Bateman ("Arrested Development"), Allison Janney ("The West Wing"), Rainn Wilson ("The Office"), J.K. Simmons ("Law and Order"), Michael Cera ("SuperBad") and Ellen Page as "Juno".

Not bad.

Did I mention that the screenwriter is a 29-year-old gal named Diablo Cody? --


An attractive former stripper with tatoos and frequently multi-colored hair, who grew up in the middle-class Chicago suburbs and decided to change her name and chuck it all for a year of lap dances and a dream of writing.

Huh.

(So far, I'm enjoying the blog-writing hobby enough that I haven't considered an exotic dancing career path yet......I'll let ya know.)

OK.......so I think you'll be hearing a lot more about this little flick in the months to come -- especially around awards season (which is quickly approaching -- yay !).

"Juno" opens in limited release on December 5th, then goes wide not too long after that.

Don't know if it will be your cup of tea (or if it will even make any money), but I definitely think it looks smart, funny, dry, sweet, ornery and most definitely -- quirky.

Oh yeah.......and I'm thinkin' it's got "Oscar-Bait" stamped all over it.

So check out the "Juno" trailer below to see for yourself:




Also, if you're interested -- I've got a link below to an interesting article about the screenwriter (ya know, the former stripper.....) from the most recent issue of "Entertainment Weekly."

Let's just say......Diablo is currently workin' on a comedy pilot for Steven Spielberg about a woman with multiple personalities. You go girl!




OK......that's all I got for now.

Call me if you wanna check out "Juno" when she rolls into town.

I'm gonna go finish the book I'm reading........

"Exotic Dancing For Dummies".

Hey --- it worked for Diablo.

I'm just sayin'........a girl's gotta have goals.

Later,

Cagey :)




No comments: